Your HD just got better. Welcome to HDX.

We’re excited to announce that we’ve upgraded our extensive selection of movies and TV from HD to HDX. So goodbye HD, hello HDX in up to 1080p. Yeah, it’s pretty big news. After all, our big picture is to give you a better picture. And HDX is a better way to watch. Clearly.

So now you’ll have the ability to buy or rent movies and TV at both HDX and SD quality. It also means customers with previously purchased HD movies get an upgrade too – on us. That’s right. We’re giving you HDX for your old HD. Woo-hoo!

Awesome right? During the coming week, all of the HD titles currently in your library will automatically be upgraded to HDX. Once we’re done, you’ll have a library full of movies upgraded to automatically optimize your stream and deliver the highest resolution for your internet connection and device.

So start watching, and bask in the glory that is HDX. If you’ve still got questions, we’ve got some answers to the most common ones below.

If I own HD, what do I have to do to get HDX?

Nothing. Lucky you! Your titles will be automatically upgraded to HDX during the coming week and will then stream in up to 1080p. Going forward, new HDX purchases will stream in up to 1080p. SD purchases will stream 480p.

Will my SD get upgraded to HD?

Unfortunately no. SD titles will remain at SD 480p. Nice try though.

My HDX is encountering buffering issues!

Our HDX upgrade is designed to automatically optimize your stream to the highest resolution for your internet connection and device. Your download speed plays a major factor in your ability to stream HDX in up to 1080p. The speed of your internet – based on your speed tier, how many people are sharing your connection, and other factors – can limit your ability to stream. You can perform a Speed Test to give you an idea of your streaming speeds, and learn about our minimum streaming requirements here. Then contact your internet service provider about your options.

Why can’t I buy or rent in HD quality anymore?

As part of our move to HDX, we’ve eliminated the HD option and offer HDX at the same price.

What if my TV is only 720p?

HDX streams in up to 1080p. So if your TV is only 720p, you’ll stream in 720p. If you upgrade to a 1080p or higher TV in the future, all your HDX titles will stream in up to 1080p.

Will titles with “HD only” restrictions on desktops and laptops stream in HDX?

Desktop and laptop restrictions are device dependent. So any titles with streaming restrictions will stream in their maximum allowed resolution, either 480p for SD or up to 720p.

I have an HD rental, will I get watch it in HDX?

Unfortunately, we won’t be upgrading any HD rentals you currently have to HDX. But if it’s any consolation, we’ll stream your next rental in HDX. See what we did there?

My upgraded HDX is awesome! You guys rock!

That’s not really a question, but thanks.

89 Comments

• David L Berger

August 13, 2016 at 6:08 pm

Will you ever offer us the ability to pay the difference between the SD price and the HDX price to upgrade SD material to HDX or to UHD for that matter?

• Robert Faber

August 13, 2016 at 6:15 pm

Good news that HD will now be HDX. What I would really like to see is an upgrade option for customers who originally converted their home library with the disk to digital application that have a large number of SD titles that would like to upgrade those titles to HDX. Of course you won’t be doing it for free, as you indicated, but how about an option for the customer to upgrade their library?

• Joseph Mclaughlin

August 13, 2016 at 6:16 pm

Thank you. I finally got something for nothing! Kudos!

• Ray

August 13, 2016 at 6:25 pm

Awesome! How do I watch my vudu 3D movies in 1080p on my Xbox One?

• Shirley Corbett

August 13, 2016 at 6:27 pm

Since my provider cannot fix this issue without it costing me a lot more money, I’ll probably drop you after I watch all my items I’ve purchased! Too bad you didn’t offer us customers a choice!

• SANTIAGO SANCHEZ

August 13, 2016 at 6:38 pm

Thank you very much .

• Noe Delgado

August 13, 2016 at 6:46 pm

• Daniel

August 13, 2016 at 7:21 pm

I wish that you would offer a small fee to upgrade an SD to HDX.

• Clay

August 13, 2016 at 7:23 pm

You need to offer something to those of us who have hundreds of HDX titles, we paid more for these titles and now you are offering free upgrades to cheapskate. This is garbage and I suggest you do something before the community pushes back. I’d tell you that I would hate for you to look like jerks, but based on my experience with VUDU, that appears to be the hat that suits you.

• Randy Schafer

August 13, 2016 at 7:24 pm

Any plans on an upgrade sale or discount for movies currently owned in SD if we wish to upgrade them to HDX?

• Johnnie Maynard

August 13, 2016 at 7:26 pm

Wish you would have an offer to upgrade our standard Definition movies cheap.

• Stephen P. Suelzle

August 13, 2016 at 8:27 pm

I have purchased most of the movies and shows I own on Vudu In HDX already. However, it will be nice of you to upgrade the few that aren’t. I think this is a great thing to do and is another reason for liking Vudu as much as I do. Thank you.

Also, how will this affect the price structure of disk to digital purchases in the future?

• darius mcsean

August 13, 2016 at 8:40 pm

Great news! Thank you Vudu

• dellas bker

August 13, 2016 at 8:52 pm

When will 4k content become available to be streamed to my new 4k Samsung UHD tv?

• Melanie Stinger

August 13, 2016 at 9:28 pm

What will happen when we purchase HD movies in the future? Or will there be no HD and only be able HDX? will the price be effected for future movies?

• Kenn

August 13, 2016 at 10:20 pm

Thanks Vudu : )

• Jenny Lenzini

August 13, 2016 at 10:22 pm

Will my HDX movies stay that way or is it temporary?

• Dustin

August 13, 2016 at 10:29 pm

Will the quality of the video on the iPhone vudu app be hdx too

• Earl Williams

August 13, 2016 at 10:43 pm

thanks!

• Nicholas Sabalos

August 13, 2016 at 10:45 pm

Well done, VUDU! It’s not often we regular folks get such a nice surprise any more! Much appreciated!

• Bradley

August 13, 2016 at 11:26 pm

Does that mean stuff I own in SD that you can get in HDX will be upgraded to HDX also?

• Cindy Mann

August 14, 2016 at 4:22 am

I have not been able to stream any of your movies in any format. I keep getting the message my internet is to slow. However I have fast internet and don’t have problems watching movies from any other companies. Do you have a suggestion to fix this problem?

Thanks,
    Cindy

• Paul H Baker Jr

August 14, 2016 at 4:28 am

Please do not do this with the movies I have bought from you. The buffering with century link is ridiculous. I do not want this upgrade and I do not want to pay more for higher speed internet, please leave my movies alone so I can watch them without frustration.

• Donna

August 14, 2016 at 4:33 am

My VUDU buffers constantly on my ROKU player now that you did this upgrade. I have contacted ROKU and we have done all kinds of testing and changing things, but nothing makes my VUDU stream without buffering. our speed is 7.54 and I was viewing a movie that I purchased in SD form. Why would this start to buffer on my ROKU since this upgrade? I need you to correct this ASAP as I can not watch any of my movies on my TV that I purchased. Please correct this issue.

Thank you for your help with this frustrating issue,

Dona

• Douig Garrett

August 14, 2016 at 5:13 am

How about giving me some free movies?

• Dorothy Longo

August 14, 2016 at 5:23 am

Nobody is offering anything for free
    So far this week had to replace my cable box and my rates are going up
    again
    Really appreciate it
    Out of all my services I enjoy Vudu the best
    Sincerely
    Dottie Longo

• Tom Priovolos

August 14, 2016 at 5:37 am

Woohoo! Not sure “why” – but thanks a bunch Vudu!!!

• Victor Buller

August 14, 2016 at 5:53 am

My Internet provider caps data usage. HDX uses a lot more bandwidth doesn’t it? I really do not want HDX, or I would have purchased that. If you upgrade me I will not be able to purchase more movies nor watch the ones you upgraded. Do we have an option to stay with HD? If not, can I get a refund for the movies I have purchased?

• Bruce Davis

August 14, 2016 at 6:04 am

Makes sense, we always bought HD in the past because it was usually a buck less and the quality was the same as HDX or the difference was not noticable on my 1080p TV. You might as well claim that extra buck where you can.

• Dennis Booker

August 14, 2016 at 6:09 am

My current issue is buffering and has been for over two weeks and I can’t watch any of the movies I have purchased your increase has made it more difficult to enjoy. I am on a fixed income and can’t afford to pay for higher speeds

• Joe Miller

August 14, 2016 at 6:52 am

Thanks!

• Rio Walters

August 14, 2016 at 7:17 am

Thank you guys and girls. Now we just need you on Apple TV. Make them play nice!

• Paula McCarthy

August 14, 2016 at 7:47 am

Is there a way I can pay to upgrade my SD content to HDX? I realize some of the movies I have are only available in SD but some of my DVDs that came with a digital only came with SD content but are available in HDX.

• Jessica Cubberley

August 14, 2016 at 7:51 am

To whom it may concern,
    Every time we order a movie we get the written script on the TV. Is there a way to not see that? Thanks.
    Jessica

• Karen

August 14, 2016 at 8:17 am

Did you even consider the fact that some places, like Alaska has data limits still? The difference between 720 and 1080 on bandwidth is huge! I appreciate your happy notification, but that just means I will have to be careful and make sure to select SD from now on because I can’t afford to get overage fees watching everything at HDX. Please DO NOT get rid of SD, or I will have to get rid of Vudu all together.

• Patty Turner-Harrison

August 14, 2016 at 8:22 am

Outstanding! Thank you and have a safe and pleasant week!

• Bonnie George

August 14, 2016 at 8:26 am

I enjoy Vudu, renting and buying. I have 3 SAMSUNG 1080’s in my home. I also have a Samsung 55 4K in my home. I hope your upgrade resolves my issue when I play movies in HDX and I buffer all the time. I have to keep changing HDX to HD and then sometimes to Standard because of buffering. I have Time Warner top quality wireless internet.
    Thanks for the upgrade as you can see I am a good customer and hope it helps my streaming.
    Bonnie

• bob s

August 14, 2016 at 8:41 am

why don’t you explain the difference between HD and HDX. most people assume that HD is 1080p. are you calling HD 1080i and HDX 1080p? if that’s the case, not all that much difference.

• Moses contreras

August 14, 2016 at 8:44 am

Thanks vudu.. love u guy’s that’s great news and very much appreciate. Keep up the good work and I’ll keep buying and watching vudu. Thanks again.

• Keith Bibbee

August 14, 2016 at 8:53 am

Is there an option for me to upgrade SD titles I own to HDX at a reduced cost without having to purchase outright with no credit for the SD ownership?

• Brandie

August 14, 2016 at 9:16 am

I have a Samsung SmartTV, does the HDX work for that?

• William soronen

August 14, 2016 at 9:32 am

You guys rock! Thank you very much.

Happy subscriber

• Scott Hoffman

August 14, 2016 at 9:37 am

Why can’t you offer a discounted upgrade option to take my SD movies to HDX? It isn’t fair to expect me to purchase the movie again at full price or have to fool with disc to digital to upgrade.

• Becky

August 14, 2016 at 11:17 am

Just wanted to say thank you what a nice surprise!

• Rene Brooks

August 14, 2016 at 11:19 am

Only 28 of my library are showing. Does the “over the next week” conversion process mean it may take a couple days for all of my library to convert? Thank you

• Jonathan

August 14, 2016 at 11:25 am

Thanks! You guys do rock!!

• Chris

August 14, 2016 at 12:00 pm

The HDX upgrade is awesome! However we who have upgraded our televisions and have previously had to order in SD would appreciate the ability to upgrade our currently owned SD to HDX as well, even if there is a fee it would be worth it. Thanx for the consideration. Chris

• Craig Holderby

August 14, 2016 at 1:06 pm

Thanks for the upgrade and looking forward to watching.

• Nancy Stinson

August 14, 2016 at 1:22 pm

Will there be compensation to those of us who have paid extra for HDX all these years?

• cynthia mccarty

August 14, 2016 at 1:52 pm

I’m so excited we were included in this HDC movement way to go VUDU
    I’ve never regretted joining you and The VUDU Movement whoot whooot