The New VUDU for Home

Jchang | November 24, 2014 in Devices,New Features,VUDU | Comments (29)

Header

Today we’re pleased to announce a brand new VUDU experience for the living room. It’s available now on Sony PlayStation 3 and 4, select smart TV and internet-connected DVD/Blu-ray player brands, set-top box devices like Roku, and will roll out to even more throughout the rest of the year. So jump on the couch, fire up the TV and experience the new VUDU today.

The new VUDU is designed to give you more control and make discovering and watching the latest movies and TV at home more intuitive and enjoyable. How? Through a combination of new design, new features, and of course, a continually-growing library of top-tier movies and TV shows.

Faster, Easier Ways to Watch

watchlist

Now you can quickly find and pick up where you left off with the new Watchlist. Movies and shows you haven’t yet finished watching are listed here, so you can get back to watching faster without having to search through your library.

TV Binge-watcher? When you finish an episode of a TV season, the new VUDU automatically queues up the next episode (if you don’t own it, you get the option to buy it). The episode also appears in your Watchlist, so you’ll never have to scroll through episode descriptions again to figure out where you left off.

New Tools to Explore & Discover

genres

Feel like browsing? The new VUDU gives you several powerful ways to sort, filter and discover the perfect movie.

• Genres and Subgenres – Browse through every kind of action, comedy or drama imaginable.
  • Filters – Sort and filter by popularity, year, rating, studio and more.
  • Discover Tool – Build a custom compilation of movies and TV from hundreds of categories.

Smarter Search, Better Results

search

A powerful new search makes it easy to find what you want not just by titles and actors, but also keywords like plot (save the world), mood (offbeat), audience (kids), praise (Oscar winner) and more. As you type, a related search field also lists options, so not only can you skip right to the results, you might also find a new way to search.

First-rate Recommendations

rec-engine

From customized-for-you recommendations to our expertly-curated collections, skip the filler and get quality movies and TV that you actually want to watch. Our new personalization engine finds the best movies and TV shows for you based on what you watch, own, rate and more. If you’re looking for something different, our curated collections will keep you in the loop on the best sales, hottest titles and seasonal specials.

Learn more about the new VUDU here!

29 Responses to “The New VUDU for Home”

RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URL

1. Comment by JohnNovember 24, 2014 at 4:20 pm

would really be nice if you made a start from beginning button

2. Comment by Dan LongNovember 24, 2014 at 5:15 pm

Could you please add a start over button? I don’t always want to resume in the middle of the movie.

3. Comment by Jchang — November 26, 2014 at 9:22 am

Thanks Dan, for the feedback.
    We are indeed working on it.

4. Comment by Richard — November 27, 2014 at 12:46 am

You improved some of the features nicely, thanks.

However, your previous look was more unique and elegent. Vudu really stood apart in the UI department. Everything was chosen well to look wonderfully high res and antialised at 1080p. Nice and smooth.

I preferred v2 Vudu it even over Apple’s own refined look. You had the superior HDX superior and the superior look.

Overall, it was just perfect UI wise.

The new look is much more, I hate to say it, but much more amateur hour. It looks like a home made skin for the old PC MP3 player called WinAmp. It is in many ways the opposite of elegant and refined. It just looks like a pre-Windows 8 PC gone wrong, very 1990s.

I hope this isn’t the direction it’s going, otherwise I deeply regret my investment in your ecosystem.

I would vastly prefer if we kept the new power and features, but with a refined look like you used to have.

At least give us a choice? The new UI looks like “skin”, so maybe you could implement a “skins” feature and we could keep the v2 type look, but with the new features?

Thanks for your consideration. I would really appreciate getting the gorgeous v2 Vudu interface back, or even a new, more refined “v3” of THAT look, instead of this retro WinAmpish look.

5. Comment by Glen Williams — December 10, 2014 at 10:02 am

Love the new UI, especially with the background pics on some movies. Hopefully you’ll continue to expand on having these images on more, but it’s nice for the few that have them.

One weird thing is the fact that the Roku3 doesn’t have any background pics at all. They show up on the PS3 app but not my Roku3. I thought this would be the same, especially since the Roku3 is connected to the Internet and it would be fairly easy to code a static background pic even if it had to go out to the Internet and grab it the first time, and cache for later.

6. Comment by Jchang — December 15, 2014 at 9:38 am

Hi Glen,

Roku 3 should have the background images on movie details pages (most, but not all). If you still don’t see them, exit and re-open the app and it should update to the new version!

7. Comment by cruzthis — December 22, 2014 at 1:36 am

Is there a way to print out all the movies i have?? ii go through spurts and buy lots, then i forget what i bought?

8. Comment by Joe Christ — December 24, 2014 at 9:53 pm

I would love to have this on xbox one, really struggling with the app it has right now.

9. Comment by Angela — December 26, 2014 at 5:09 am

Hi,

I have the Roku 3 and already had a Vudu account prior. Why can’t I see any of my already downloaded movies in My Vudu? I can see them from my phone or website but not on the Roku?

10. Comment by Jchang — December 26, 2014 at 8:23 am

Hi Joe,

We hear you.

11. Comment by Jchang — December 26, 2014 at 8:37 am

Hi Angela,

Could be a lot of things. Aside from some basic checks (do you have multiple accounts and are signed in with a different one?), you could try a reboot of your Roku 3. If you still can’t see them, please reach out to support @ vudu.com

12. Comment by Jchang — December 26, 2014 at 2:54 pm

Hi Cruzthis,

No feature to list out your movies, but you can look at your transaction history on vudu.com

13. Comment by Megan T — January 26, 2015 at 4:27 pm

If I bought season 6 of The Vampire Diaries, will new episodes automatically be added to my vudu once the episode has aired? Or do I have to keep buying future episodes? Thanks!

14. Comment by Jchang — January 26, 2015 at 4:50 pm

Hi Megan,

Yes you do get new episodes of season 6 automatically as they are added to VUDU. It’s called Season Pass and it’s a great way to save money as well as time!

15. Comment by Rielyn — February 24, 2015 at 10:50 am

I agree with a few previous comments. I would also like a “start from beginning” button on the watchlist and also an edit feature so you can remove movies from the list that you don’t plan to go back to for a while. My nieces and nephews will watch movies on here sometimes, and they like to watch only the first 45 minutes so then I have all these movies that I have to fast forward through one at a time to get them off of my watchlist. Rather tedious. I appreciate Vudu’s responsiveness to their customers, and actually like the new set up. One more thing I liked from the previous version was how easy it was to find the upcoming movies and new releases. It’s a little more difficult to find movies you can preorder and sometimes the trailers are found in another area from the listing of the movie itself. Anyway, I love your service. Thanks!

16. Comment by Eric — February 27, 2015 at 7:56 am

I’m a little late, but I’m with Joe, on this one. I love the new interface but would really love it on my Xbox One! Are there plans to roll it out on that platform too? Or are we out of luck? If it’s in the works and just taking more time = totally okay with that. Just wondering thank you.

17. Comment by Jchang — February 27, 2015 at 8:42 am

Lots of things in the works. I’ll just say Xbox is very likely one of them.

18. Comment by Jchang — February 27, 2015 at 8:53 am

Thanks Rielyn,
    You’ll see more improvements coming soon!

19. Comment by Sylvia — May 7, 2015 at 7:49 pm

I have 2 smart tvs (Phillips & Samsung)…I’ve recently been able to remove movies from the watchlist on the Phillips but not the Samsung. Is this a Vudu issue or does it means Samsung needs to update the app?

20. Comment by Jchang — May 21, 2015 at 10:39 am

Hi Sylvia, have you tried signing out (uninstalling) of the app and signing back in?

21. Comment by Jasmine — June 25, 2015 at 10:21 am

Is this slated to be rolled out on browsers? I’d like the auto play next TV episode when watching my Vudu TV series on my pc through the browser.

22. Comment by Jchang — July 6, 2015 at 9:27 am

Hi Jasmine,

We’re working hard on upgrades to all platforms, so will definitely share your comment with our product team!

23. Comment by Allie — July 13, 2015 at 5:40 pm

Yes, please, please, please, a “start over” feature would be a perfect addition. It is something that I use frequently on Amazon Prime, Netflix, etc. A must!

Thanks!

24. Comment by John — October 16, 2015 at 12:54 am

I have bought seasons of tv shows and not all the episodes are watchable. I spent $25 on season 2 of Batman: the animated series and only 2 episodes are even watchable. What’s going on? Why can’t I see all the episodes? Season 1 only has 4 episodes I can watch.

25. Comment by Jchang — October 16, 2015 at 8:59 am

Hi John,

It could be many reasons. Please contact customer support at 1 (888) 554-8838.

26. Comment by Kathy — December 3, 2015 at 7:42 pm

I purchased a few movies and season of NCIS New Orleans. I can see and play them from my list on the tv in my living room but do not see them on any of my other devices. Any ideas?

27. Comment by Jchang — December 4, 2015 at 1:18 pm

Hi Kathy, can you reach out to support@vudu.com or 1 (888) 554-8838? In the meantime, yuou can check if your other devices are signed into other accounts.

28. Comment by ryan — December 16, 2016 at 11:57 pm

i know this blog has been dead for over a year. dont know where else to post my question, looked everywhere and this was the best spot to try.

recently bought a philips 4k smart tv. comes with vudu home already installed. have my tv connected to a wireless internet router. netflix works fine, youtube works fine. vudu opens and i can browse but i do not see anywhere to log into an already existing account. i share a vudu account with my brother. would like to watch some of the movies i have on my new tv without having to repurchase them.

29. Comment by E Yang — December 20, 2016 at 9:21 am

Simply sign in with the same username and password and you can link your new device to your existing account.