Introducing InstaWatch from VUDU and Walmart

Jchang | October 14, 2014 in New Features | Comments (84)

InstaWatch BLog

Today at VUDU, we’re launching our biggest new feature yet: InstaWatch.

Exclusively from VUDU and Walmart, InstaWatch gives you a digital copy of every eligible DVD or Blu-ray that you buy at Walmart stores or on Walmart.com—automatically.

That means you get to own your favorite movie on disc and watch it digitally on smartphones, tablets and more. Even better: It won’t cost you anything extra.

InstaWatch is perfect for movie collectors, families that want to watch anywhere and anytime, those new to digital entertainment–well, anyone that loves movies and great value.

Check out the InstaWatch page here.

How does it work?

InstaWatch_Instructions

InstaWatch is easy to use, and works with Savings Catcher, the hit new feature available on the Walmart app for Android or iOS devices, or on Walmart.com.

1. Buy any eligible DVD or Blu-ray at Walmart
  2. Scan your receipt with the app
    (If you bought on Walmart.com, just look for a confirmation email)
  3. That’s it! Enjoy your digital copy on VUDU

You’ll need a free Walmart.com account. If you already are a VUDU user and want the digital copies to be added to the same account, be sure to sign up using the same email address. Walmart.com users can sign in directly to VUDU to start watching.

Get the Walmart App:

Shop InstaWatch titles here.

84 Responses to “Introducing InstaWatch from VUDU and Walmart”

RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URL

1. Comment by Manuel — October 19, 2014 at 11:22 am

Will we still be able to get our digital copies code inside our blu rays?

2. Comment by Charles R.L. PowerOctober 19, 2014 at 6:39 pm

So how am I supposed to use this? I’ve got a Nook HD+ (Android), which does not have any scanning capability, and of course a Windows PC with a printer/scanner attached. No way to input a scan with an Android app. How about a Windows program, or sending a scan to a Walmart website?

3. Comment by Camille — October 19, 2014 at 10:19 pm

I recently bought some movies. I scanned the receipt in savings catcher(Walmart) and I never got an email giving me a link to add them to my vudu account.

4. Comment by Jchang — October 20, 2014 at 10:45 am

Hi Camille,

If you didn’t get an email or push notification from VUDU, but you have scanned you receipt or purchased DVDs or Blu-ray Discs at Walmart.com, then most likely you have not purchased InstaWatch eligible content. Please review your DVD or Blu-ray Disc packaging to verify that you see an InstaWatch sticker or Icon. If you believe you have an InstaWatch eligible title but have not received a notification within 24 hours of scanning your receipt or completing you online purchase, please contact our support team at support@vudu.com!

5. Comment by Jchang — October 20, 2014 at 10:45 am

Manuel: Yes

6. Comment by Jchang — October 20, 2014 at 12:46 pm

Hi Charles,

You can manually enter your receipt number within the Walmart app for Android. Just go to Savings Catcher and then the scanning section and then tap on ‘Type receipt info instead’.

7. Comment by Brendan — November 25, 2014 at 5:40 am

I have a VUDU account and I bought an instawatch movie online and never received the code its been over a day now

8. Comment by Jchang — November 25, 2014 at 9:12 am

Hi Brendan, please contact us at: support@vudu.com!

9. Comment by carly — December 5, 2014 at 2:49 pm

how do I do this if I bought the movie online?

10. Comment by Jchang — December 5, 2014 at 3:14 pm

Hi Carly,

If you bought an eligible DVD or Blu-ray online at Walmart.com, you should receive an email with instructions. See http://www.vudu.com/instawatch/ for more details.
    If did not buy the movie at Walmart.com, and the DVD/Blu-ray did not come with a digital copy, you could consider trying VUDU’s Disc to Digital service, which will allow to you to receive a digital copy of select movies. You can learn more here: http://www.vudu.com/in_home_disc_to_digital.html

Hope this helps.

11. Comment by Tracy H — December 17, 2014 at 1:18 pm

Do u actually download the movie from vudu to a device (iPad, computer, etc) or do u have to watch it on the vudu site and would therefore need internet service at the time u were watching it?

12. Comment by Jchang — December 17, 2014 at 1:25 pm

Hi Tracy,

You can indeed download movies and TV episodes you own. We have an Android app, an iOS app and for PC/Mac, VUDU to Go.

13. Comment by ricky — December 29, 2014 at 9:40 am

Hello,
    if i make a purchase off walmart.com with the instawatch feature does that movie go to my Vudu Library like the UV digital copys normally do?

14. Comment by Jchang — December 29, 2014 at 10:11 am

Hi Ricky,

Yes, if you purchase an eligible DVD/Blu-ray from Walmart.com, you will get a digital copy to add to your VUDU account. To ensure things are as easy as possible, use the same email address on Walmart.com as you use for VUDU. Also, before your purchase, link your Walmart.com account to your VUDU account. You can do so in the account information page once logged in to your Walmart.com.

Hope this helps!

15. Comment by Ashley Cannon — December 30, 2014 at 11:05 am

If I purchased a movie online at walmart.com and downloadung my digitial copy and decide to return the movie will I still have access to the downloaded movie on vudu? Or will I lose the digital download as well.

16. Comment by Jchang — December 31, 2014 at 8:04 am

Hi Ashley, yes the rights to the digital copy will be revoked.

17. Comment by marcy — January 7, 2015 at 5:54 pm

is it possible to download the movie that i bought on walmart vudu to my pc??

18. Comment by Jchang — January 8, 2015 at 9:01 am

Hi Marcy,

Yes you can download a copy of your digital movie purchases on VUDU (it doesn’t matter if you purchased it on VUDU.com or via Walmart.com). On a PC, just download the VUDU to Go program (http://www.vudu.com/in_home_disc_to_digital.html) which will allow you to download your purchases.

Hope this helps!

19. Comment by Robin — January 28, 2015 at 7:03 pm

I have a walmart.com and vudu account with the same email address with different movies purchased on them. Is there any way I can merge the two accounts?

20. Comment by Jchang — January 29, 2015 at 9:44 am

Hi Robin,

You can call us at 1 (888) 554-8838 to get the accounts merged!

21. Comment by Wilson — February 5, 2015 at 4:52 pm

Hello,
    What is the average wait time for the e-mail to be sent after purchasing something from walmart.com?

22. Comment by JessicaFebruary 19, 2015 at 6:12 pm

Site is asking for a redeem code for me to enter before I can view my movie…????

23. Comment by Jchang — February 20, 2015 at 10:02 am

Hi Jessica, Could be a lot of things here. Could you call 1 (888) 554-8838 or email support @ vudu.com? To expedite support, try to have detailed notes on the movie you purchased (where and when), what you’ve tried and any errors or places you are stuck.

24. Comment by Jchang — February 20, 2015 at 10:05 am

Hi Wilson, please give the email up to 2 days.

25. Comment by LisaSub — February 24, 2015 at 8:04 am

I purchased BigHero6 today at walmart. I have signed into my vudu acct, signed in and scanned my receipt to the savings catcher account.

I have not received an email, can not view movie on my vudu acct.

In addition, I would like to link my husbands mydisneyanywhere acct to this.

I need this resolved ASAP. At this point, I will NEVER buy a movie from Walmart again.

26. Comment by Jchang — February 24, 2015 at 4:22 pm

Hi Lisa,
    Please give us a call at 1 (888) 554-8838 and we’ll get this resolved right away.

27. Comment by Eric — February 24, 2015 at 8:05 pm

We have all our digital copies in our iTunes account. Do we have the option to import to iTunes or do we have to watch this through VUDU? Do I need to take the Instawatch version back and exchange for the regular digital copy version?

28. Comment by Greg — February 24, 2015 at 8:13 pm

Can I redeem my instawatch movie on Apple tv? Or once it’s redeemed will it be included in my apple library? If not, I will not make this mistake again. Thanks

29. Comment by Justin — February 27, 2015 at 4:48 am

Bought Big Hero 6 movie this week on Blu Ray. We watched the movie and it worked fine. At the time I didn’t know you needed the receipt to scan to redeem the digital copy so it was thrown out. Can I have a iTunes code to download? If now I will never buy a movie at Wal-Mart again. seems silly you need the receipt to download even if the have the code on the inside of the case. What a pain.

30. Comment by Jchang — February 27, 2015 at 8:52 am

Hi Greg,

Currently only Big Hero 6, which is both InstaWatch eligible and part of Disney Movies Anywhere, would show up in your Apple Library. Future Disney Movies may be InstaWatch eligible, but currently you cannot access VUDU from an Apple TV. You can, however, use your Chromecast, a VUDU Spark, your smart TV, VUDU to Go on your Mac, your iPhone or iPad, Xbox, PlayStation, Roku, or many other devices. Hopefully you’ll have one of those and try out VUDU there!

31. Comment by Jchang — February 27, 2015 at 8:56 am

Hi Justin,

Two versions of Big Hero 6 are being sold in stores. If you have a version that includes a code inside the Blu-Ray package (it has a Disney Movies Anywhere logo, but not an InstaWatch logo), you do not require a receipt to get your digital copy. Just enter the code at https://my.vudu.com/redeem.html and you’re done!

Hope this helps!

-Jeff

32. Comment by Sara — February 27, 2015 at 7:10 pm

I purchased Big Hero 6 on DVD from Wal-Mart today and DID receive an email but when I click the redeem now button in the email, it says that I don’t need a code to instantly watch. I can watch it online, but I would like to be able to download it to my iPad to watch offline but the movie is not showing in my vudu movies, am I missing something? Is the copy I bought only available to watch online? The only code I received in my DVD is one for Disney movie rewards.

33. Comment by Poppy — March 1, 2015 at 11:19 am

I purchased Big Hero 6 and received the email to add it my account but when I try to add it it’s asking for a code

34. Comment by Brandy — March 1, 2015 at 1:34 pm

I bought a Big Hero 6 at Walmart today. When I scanned the receipt through the Walmart savings catcher it said I unlocked the digital copy through VUDU but it’s asking me for a code which did not come in the DVD box. I don’t understand how I’m supposed to get the digital copy.

35. Comment by Jchang — March 1, 2015 at 8:20 pm

Hi Sara,

If you can watch it online through VUDU, you should be able see and download it to your iPad with the VUDU Player app for iOS. Hope this helps.

36. Comment by Lauren — March 2, 2015 at 6:27 am

Walmart instawatch is asking for a redemption code for Big Zhero 6. Where is it?

37. Comment by Jchang — March 2, 2015 at 9:12 am

Hi Brandy!

If your Big Hero 6 DVD or Blu-ray has an InstaWatch sticker on it, the digital copy can be redeemed automatically without entering codes. If it has a Disney Movies Anywhere sticker, you should have received a code inside the packaging. If the latter is the case, contact customer support and have your account information and receipt on hand. Hope this helps.

38. Comment by Jchang — March 2, 2015 at 9:15 am

Hi Eric,

Apple and iTunes do not support UltraViolet or InstaWatch, so you cannot access copies from iTunes to VUDU or vice-versa. Some Disney movies which have the ‘Disney Movies Anywhere’ branding can be accessible through both iTunes and VUDU, but currently only Big Hero 6 is eligible.

39. Comment by Jchang — March 2, 2015 at 9:18 am

Hi Lauren,

If your Big Hero 6 DVD/Blu-ray came had a “Disney Movies Anywhere” sticker (as opposed to a Walmart InstaWatch sticker), then it should have included a sheet with a code. If you didn’t get the code, then please contact support with your account and receipt information on hand.

40. Comment by Justin — March 4, 2015 at 3:37 am

Jeff,
    No this does not help. It has the instawatch logo. I made another trip to Wal-Mart to have them print me another receipt from last week and now it says I can’t redeem it because it is more than 7 days old. Seriously? can I please just have an iTunes code to and be done with it?

Comment by Jchang — February 27, 2015 at 8:56 am

Hi Justin,

Hope this helps!

-Jeff

41. Comment by Jchang — March 4, 2015 at 9:04 am

Hi Justin,

Please contact customer support at 1 (888) 554-8838 or support @ vudu.com. Have a copy of your receipt and disc with you to help speed things along.

42. Comment by Teresa — March 31, 2015 at 3:36 pm

I just bought The Rewrite it had on it that it came with the VUDU copy; I get home and there is no code any where!! why??

43. Comment by Jchang — April 1, 2015 at 1:23 pm

Hi Teresa, email support @ VUDU.com and send as much detail as you can, including a scan of the disc, box and receipt.

44. Comment by CrystalApril 2, 2015 at 6:30 pm

Hi,
    I purchased three movies today from Walmart all with the instant watch component. I did everything required, my account shows all the movies in my library. Unfortunately when I try to watch any of them, I can only see trailers and not the actual movie. Am I missing something? I’m extremely frustrated with this service.

45. Comment by CrystalApril 2, 2015 at 6:32 pm

Never mind. Problem solved!

46. Comment by Netanya — April 15, 2015 at 12:13 pm

I bought a movie and used the code to get the digital copy, is there a way to download the copy to my iPad mini? It says I can but I don’t know how.

47. Comment by preston — April 17, 2015 at 4:59 pm

We have been using vudu for at least a year or two and recently synced our account with our walmart account for an instantwatch movie. almost everything merged together fine (the new movie from Walmart and our existing library) but we lost just one title (the Lego movie) is there a way to get it back in our library?

48. Comment by Jchang — April 20, 2015 at 9:35 am

Hi Preston,

Thanks for using InstaWatch! Please reach out to support @ vudu.com.

49. Comment by Jchang — April 20, 2015 at 9:39 am

Hi Netanya,

You can use the VUDU Player App for iOS to access and download movies and TV shows to your iPad Mini.

50. Comment by melindaMay 7, 2015 at 3:23 pm

I purchased a movie that had the sticker for insta watch, so i put in my receipt number and never got a email. However my vudu is under a different email, would it have sent it there???